[LACNIC/Seguridad] FIRST Symposium, São Paulo, Brazil

Cristine Hoepers cristine en cert.br
Jue Ene 26 11:54:28 BRST 2012

----- Forwarded message from Kenneth Van Wyk <ken en krvw.com> -----

From: Kenneth Van Wyk <ken en krvw.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 06:31:56 +0700
Subject: Save the dates and Call for Speakers / Trainers /
         Participants - FIRST Symposium, São Paulo, Brazil

Greetings FIRST Teams,

Although the details aren't all finished yet, I wanted to send some
preliminary information regarding the inaugural FIRST Symposium in
South America!  The event will be held in São Paulo, Brazil from
27-30 March 2012.  This event is being supported and hosted by FIRST
and several of our South American teams including CERT.br/NIC.br,
Telefonica/TERIS, and CAIS/RNP.

We hope that we can maximize participation here, whether you are
interested in presenting, sponsoring, or simply attending.
Preparation of the website and registration page is underway and we
plan to have more information shortly. If you're interested in talking
about sponsorships, please contact me.

The schedule of events follows:
27-28 March - FIRST Symposium Plenary Days
29-30 March - Hands On Training Days

The Meeting Venue is the Blue Tree Towers Morumbi
(http://www.bluetree.com.br/hoteis-e-resorts/morumbi.jsp ) and
additional nearby hotels will also be available for accommodation and
listed on the event pages. Hands on classes will be held at
CERT.br/NIC.br headquarters -1.5 miles from hotel (buses will be
provided).

Since this is a Symposium, we'd like to outreach to as many teams as
possible and invite both FIRST members and potential
members/non-members to participate.

I'd also like to announce a Call for Speakers and Trainers so we can
start building out the program. We are currently accepting abstracts
for presenters for both the Plenary Sessions and Hands-On Training
Days.  We are particularly interested in the following topics, but are
open to other topics as well:

* Botnets (specifically initiatives to disinfect users)
* Technology watch -- new technologies to be aware of
* User Awareness
* Lessons learned, case studies, etc.
* Threat updates - statistics of malware and such
* Attack tools and trends
* Incident response tools and trends and security technologies

I should note here that we'd like to see a balance between
introductory sessions and more advanced topics.

So if you or your team are interested in helping FIRST reach out to a
region where we have been underrepresented in the past, here's your
opportunity. Let's show our friends in Latin America what FIRST can
do, and send a clear message that we'd like to see more participation
from their region. (And yes, our plan is to hold similar events in
other underrepresented regions over time.)

For your submission, please provide the following information:

- Title
- Type of presentation (Plenary or demo/hands on exercise)
- Brief Summary (Abstract)
- Presenter's Name and Affiliation
- Estimated Time

If you're interested in speaking or instructing a Plenary Session or
Hands-on class, please get in contact with me (ken en krvw.com) and
Jacomo Piccolini (jacomo en cymru.com).

Please stayed tuned for more details and feel free to contact me with
any questions!

Cheers,

Ken

-----