[LAC-TF] Implementar Tunnel Broker

Fabrício Zimmerer Murta avenger at buynet.com.br
Tue Jun 5 17:13:19 BRT 2007

Carlos,

    You could find some ipv6 ip calculators by googling for it
(www.google.com!), seek for something like ipcalc ipv6.
    What if you feel brave?
    Ipv6 works as follow:
ab:cd:ef:gh:ij:kl:mn:op

  Each a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h... chars are one offset in hexadecimal. It contains a
number from 0 to 255. For example, in the last field, if o has 0 and p has
something correspondent to 120, you have an ipv6 address that ends on :120
(ipv6 are by default shown in hexadecimal form, which would be 78 in hex --
use some sci calculator to pass from base10(decimal) to
base16(hexadecimal)). In this approach we can realise that only the last
field holds 256×256 numbers, totalysing 65536 different IP addresses only on
that field (from 0 to 65535). Now, why all that?
    When you are calculating the subnet, for each increment on the mask you
divide the network by two. For example, if you define something like ::/0
(which is a shortcut to 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0/0), and then increment by one the
netmask, you get two networks:
0::/1 and 128::/1. Then as you keep splitting the networks (i'll show it
only for the first parts of the subnets 'tree' that is formed) you'll get
0::/2 and 64::, and so on:
0::/0 splits into 0::/1 and 32768::/1 or 8000::/1
0::/1 splits into 0::/2 and 4000:/2
0::/2 splits into 0::/3 and 2000::/3
0::/3 splits into 0::/4 and 1000::/4
0::/4 splits into 0::/5 and 800:/5
0::/5 splits into 0::/6 and 400:/6
0::/6 splits into 0::/7 and 200:/7
0::/7 splits into 0::/8 and 100:/8
0::/8 splits into 0::/9 and 80::/9
0::/9 splits into 0::/10 and 40::/10
0::/10 splits into 0::/11 and 20::/11
0::/11 splits into 0::/12 and 10::/12
12 into 8::, 13 into 4::, 14 into 2::, and 15 into 1::, and 16... did you
think only 0::?
No, now they recurse to the next item so,
0::/15 splits into 0::/16 and 0:8000::/16 and so the story repeats from the
beginning, now modifying only the second field, until it is empty then third
then...
/16 is an entire nnnn:x:x:x:x:x:x:x. With a /16 network you'll be bound only
to the first field, the next seven are up to you to route!..
the point it reaches /128, you'll get something like
0::/127 splits into 0::/128 and 0::1/128
And this 0::/128 can't be split again It is one network containing just one
IP.

How can you know at once which field is being modified by a /64 or a /48?
Well, for each netprefix increment of 16, we noticed it jumped to the next
field so, 64/16=4, tis the fourth field and, as it's an exact division, it's
exactly on one cut-point. Likewise, /48 is the third field, so, if you got a
/48 class, they can name no more than three of the 'fields' of your ip6
pool. For example if they say a /48 net of 2001::/48, they refer to the
2001:0:0::/48, the remaining you can do whatever you want with it, that's
inside that /48 net. They can also say something like 2001:2fc0:3ba2::/48.
You can route anything as long as you keep the 2001:2fc0:3ba2 part intact.
  Well, disconsider the small error above, it indicated that /16 is a
two-network, one with x:0000->x:7fff and other x:8000->x:ffff. No it is not.
/17 should be that, I've calculated something wrong in the way :P. But
anyway, the error is small (and i'm too lazy to fix it now), but the idea
indeed is there.

hope this helps!..