[LAC-TF] Entrevista a Bob Hinden sobre Seguridad IPv6

Fernando Gont fgont at si6networks.com
Sat Feb 25 14:35:13 BRST 2012

FYI:
<http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/news/2240118217/-RSA-2012-talk-to-offer-help-understanding-IPv6-security-issues>

En lo personal, tengo una visión algo distinta sobre la última
pregunta (*parte* de mi argumento estando descripto en
<http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/tip/IPv6-myths-Debunking-misconceptions-regarding-IPv6-security-features>...)

Saludos,
Fernando

RSA 2012 talk to offer help understanding IPv6 security issues

Security professionals should begin learning about the emerging IPv6
protocol now or they may end up scrambling at the last minute to update
their security systems and networking equipment when it becomes
unequivocally necessary to support the protocol, according to an expert
speaking about IPv6 security issues at RSA Conference 2012.

In an interview with SearchSecurity.com, Hinden explains why IPv6
security issues can no longer be ignored, how IPv6 is most likely to be
exploited by attackers, and what security pros must do to secure their
networks in preparation for the IPv6 transition.

For security pros who may not be as familiar with the evolution of IPv6,
where are we today regarding deployment within the Internet
infrastructure? Are mandatory enterprise IPv6 deployments on the horizon?

Robert Hinden: Things have been moving a lot faster in the last couple
of years, since people figured out the IPv4 addresses were going to be
exhausted soon. That's what’s driving deployment now.

The purpose of my talk is to give a heads up to enterprises who haven't
been paying much attention. Enterprises, especially in North America,
have a lot of IPv4 addresses, and the point I wanted them to understand
is that IPv6 is built into a lot of the products they're running today.
They need to think about that even if they're not running it inside
their networks because there's the potential for unmonitored IPv6
network tunnels to be created that go outside their firewall, and
malware could use IPv6 for elicit communication. It's something security
pros in enterprises need to start paying attention to. Security pros
need to lead on IPv6.

As of now, what's the most likely timeline in which enterprises will be
forced to implement IPv6 to ensure connectivity with the rest of the
Internet?

Hinden: I've been doing this for a long time and I've learned not to try
to make date predictions; it's hard to tell. But, I'm confident
enterprises need to be paying attention to IPv6 security, figuring out
what they're going to do, and not make this a fire drill. You don't want
to be in a situation where you aren't prepared to implement IPv6
securely if the [IPv4 address] exhaustion accelerates, and it's much
easier if it's done gradually.

As a whole, how capable are today's network security products at
handling IPv6 traffic?

Hinden: My impression is it's gotten much better in the last couple
years. One issue I see is customers of security companies aren't running
the more recent software for their products. If you're running something
that's several years old, it's not going to have these IPv6
capabilities. Some companies are reluctant to update for a variety of
reasons, but it's time to do this.

How mature are the IPv6 security features in the security products
offered by vendors today?

Hinden: It's hard for me to speak for all vendors, but certainly all the
major vendors have tools that are ready for production. They're not beta
anymore. This is newer code than the IPv4 code that's been around for 15
years, so there are going to be bumps and there will probably be
patches, but it's ready for production.

How much education is required for network security pros who haven't
dealt with securing IPv6 before?

Hinden: That's one of the big things that's missing today.  The
protocols are here, the vendors have products they can run, but
enterprise staff needs to learn about IPv6, in general, and then about
the specific security differences and how to handle them. That's the
point of my talk at RSA, to raise awareness of this and encourage people
to start doing that.

For enterprise network security professionals going to RSA to learn
about IPv6 capabilities in security products, what should be the key
questions enterprises ask the vendors?

Hinden: As they go around the show floor, I think they should ask the
vendors not only what products they have, but also how they manage it.
Do you use the same management interface? How have you tested your
products? A good way to determine how mature a vendor's product is by
asking if they can run their products with IPv4 turned off. Though I
don't think most enterprises are going to do that for a long time.

What concerns you most about IPv6 security?

Hinden: It's twofold: One is that with the [IPv4 to IPv6] transition
solutions, it's possible to create unauthorized tunnels into the
enterprise. There are tunneling technologies included in Windows Vista
and Windows 7 that allow tunneling through a NAT; it's basically IPv6
under UDP under IPv4, making it possible to create a tunnel outside an
enterprise that may go unnoticed. A user may do this purposely or he or
she might turn on an application that creates an IPv6 tunnel – the "get
me back to my PC"-type products like to do this – and all of the sudden
you have this tunnel going through your NAT device. If that's your
firewall then you may have a tunnel going through it that you would
normally block. If you're not looking for it and you don't have any IPv6
rules set up on your firewall, you may not see things leaving your network.

The other is IPv6 as a covert channel for malware; malware that may use
IPv6 as a way of communicating inside the enterprise. If you're not
looking for this traffic, it could go host to host outside of the normal
protections an enterprise deploys. You can't stop what you can't see and
that's the message here. It's time for enterprises to start looking at
the security of IPv6, and make sure their security tools have IPv6
support in them now. You may have vendors that support it and you may
not have turned it on. It's time to [turn it on]. This is an issue you
don't want to have.

There are a number of transition mechanisms being employed to ensure
interoperability between IPv4 and IPv6 – dual-stack nodes, transition
and tunneling paradigms – but those mechanisms appear to be a key
security concern among experts. What's your take?

Hinden: Say you're trying to decide whether to let a particular protocol
through your firewall. You can't look at the same fixed place for the
relevant info as you would for IPv4. There's more surface area, if you
will, that needs to be examined. You need to have software security
tools that understand the different security mechanisms of IPv6 and know
how to parse them so you can look at the packet, find the relevant info
and apply your relevant rules to it. Conceptually it's easy – it's all
defined in the IPv6 RFCs – but you need to have special tools that can
do this. When you work with your vendors, make sure they know how to do
this.

Some say widespread IP address scanning by attackers is not feasible
with IPv6, but others have said attackers will likely have success
exploiting known IPv6 distribution patterns or known ranges of assigned
addresses. What's your reaction?

Hinden: With standard addresses, the prefix will come from your ISP, and
then the rest is related to each device's MAC address. It's hard to
predict what MAC addresses are going to be used inside an enterprise. So
that's still really hard. With addresses that are manually assigned,
such as to routers on a subnet, if you assign those addresses
sequentially, it is easier for someone to guess what those addresses
would be. So as long as you think about the way you assign addresses and
don't assign them sequentially, then it's a lot harder to guess what the
addresses are.

--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks