[LAC-TF] Summary. 10th Edition of FLIP6. Lacnic XVII. Quito - Ecuador

Alejandro Acosta alejandroacostaalamo at gmail.com
Thu May 31 15:08:34 BRT 2012

Hello everyone,

It is a pleasure for me to share with you my impressions of the 10th
Edition of FLIP6 (the Latin American IPv6 Forum) that met in Quito,
Ecuador on 6-7 May, 2012.

I must admit that at first the challenge that the event represented
gave me cause for concern, but now, after the event, I am extremely
satisfied and have been left with great enthusiasm to continue working
for the dissemination of IPv6 in Latin America and the Caribbean.

The event lasted 7 hours and was divided over two days; total turnout
was approximately 400 attendants and the room was full at all times. A
fact that shows the quality achieved by FLIP6 is that even after the
completion of scheduled activities people stayed in the room, a clear
indication of their interest in IPv6 as well as of the quality of the
speakers. Another important fact was the number of questions asked by
different participants, even at the time when the activity was due to
end. No less important was the high level of remote participation via
webcasting (more than 50 people each day).

This was accompanied by major coverage through Twitter, Facebook and
various mailing lists. One example of this was a Twitter message
saying something like "IPv6 is the star of LACNIC XVII".

Overall, I dare say that everything went well, as we had very good,
clear presentations and top level speakers.

A special mention goes to the LACTF Evaluation Committee, who had the
important task of selecting the papers presented at the 10th FLIP6
meeting.

Below is a brief summary of each presentation.

Fernando Gont - First Hop Security in IPv6:
Fernando spoke about one of the safety factors that should be
considered when implementing IPv6. Part of the LACTF's mission is to
support not only IPv6 dissemination, but also proper IPv6
implementation. Thank you for insisting on network security.

Augusto Espín (Vice-Minister MINTEL Ecuador) - IPv6 in Ecuador
Mr. Augusto Espín spoke of the status of IPv6 in Ecuador: why,
challenges, timing and other very interesting government sector issues
relating to IPv6. We hope to hear of more progress at future FLIPs.

Antonio Moreiras (NIC.br) - IPv6 Week summary
Antonio presented a summary of the results of IPv6 Week which took
place in Brazil in February 2012. Results were very good.
Congratulations and let's see more initiatives of this kind.

Carlos Egas (Escuela Politécnica Nacional de Quito) - Study and
analysis of the current state of IPv6 deployment at Ecuador's ISPs
Carlos presented very interesting and revealing statistics on the
status of ISPs in Ecuador. These are very valuable results, thanks for
sharing them.

Antonio Moreiras (NIC.br) - RIPE 501
Antonio Moreiras gave a second presentation, this time on a very
important document that is being prepared by our friends at RIPE.

Jordi Palet (Consulintel/6Deploy) - IPv6 at government level and results
With his usual style of teaching and transmitting information, Jordi
provided a quick but very important review of the progress that some
countries and governments have been made in terms of IPv6
implementation. Thanks for sharing this information with us. We hope
that you will continue to share new developments.

Rafael Sandoval (MINTIC Advisor) - IPv6 in Colombia
Rafael Sandoval briefly summarized the status of IPv6 in Colombia:
why, plans and information regarding the future steps of the Colombian
government in terms of IPv6 implementation in the country. Hopefully
we will have the opportunity to hear of the progress made in the
coming months and/or years.

Marcus Grando (Terra Networks Brasil) - Terra's IPv6 experience
Marcus made a very good presentation showing the good and the bad
experienced when deploying IPv6 at Terra. Good luck with the Olympics!

Arturo Servín (LACNIC) - The seven deadly sins of IPv6 implementation
Arturo's unusual presentation was based on an analogy between deadly
sins and potential errors in IPv6 implementation. Thank you for a
great presentation!

And, of course, we can not forget our guests:

Special guest speaker:
Cameron Byrne (T-Mobile) - IPv6-only services: a mobile provider's perspective
Cameron Byrne described in a very simple manner his experience with
IPv6 deployment at T-Mobile: how they managed to deploy IPv6 with zero
CAPEX, what they expect in the future, and why they decided to do it.
Thank you for sharing your experience.

Keynote presentation:
Fred Baker de Cisco Systems - Bringing up IPv6 and taking down IPv4
The forum's keynote speaker was Fred Baker, who has a long and
distinguished CV from which I will only mention that he has been Chair
of the IETF and is currently Chair of the IETF v6ops WG. His
presentation showed us a futuristic scenario where IPv6 may be
considered more important than IPv4. A big thank you to Fred for his
excellent presentation.

Finally, I would just like to say that I hope you don't miss the next
edition of FLIP6 next year, as it will surely be filled with many new
ideas and much more information.

To conclude, a quote for ICT evolution to continue and, with it, that of IPv6:

 “I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them.”
– Isaac Asimov

Alejandro Acosta
LACTF/FLIP6 2012 Moderator
http://blog.acostasite.com
Twitter: @lactf

WE HOPE TO SEE YOU AT THE XI FLIP 6 MEETING!!!!!!
SAVE THE DATE