[LAC-TF] Fwd: Scope of Unique Local IPv6 Unicast Addresses (Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-gont-6man-ipv6-ula-scope-00.txt)

Fernando Gont fgont at si6networks.com
Tue Jan 5 22:30:25 -03 2021

Estimades,

FYI: https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-gont-6man-ipv6-ula-scope-00.txt

Los comentarios son bienvenidos.

Saludos, y gracias!
Fernando

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Scope of Unique Local IPv6 Unicast Addresses (Fwd: New Version
Notification for draft-gont-6man-ipv6-ula-scope-00.txt)
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2021 22:20:55 -0300
From: Fernando Gont <fgont at si6networks.com>
To: 6man at ietf.org <6man at ietf.org>, IPv6 Operations <v6ops at ietf.org>

Folks,

Based on the recent discussion on the v6ops list
(https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/v6ops/b7r35HgOb-6dfxsDoW8c4FtGnZo//),
I've posted this new I-D, meant to discuss the scope of ULAs:

Title: "Scope of Unique Local IPv6 Unicast Addresses"
I-D: https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-gont-6man-ipv6-ula-scope-00.txt

Short version of the story:

ULAs are formally part of the GUA space. However, the characteristics of
ULAs do not seem to match the definition of global scope from RFC4007
(IPv6 Scope Addr Architecture). ULA seem to have a scope of
scope(link-local) < scope(ULA) < scope(GUA).

This is not only a terminology thing (which I think is nevertheless
important to get right) but also has practical implications. For
example, there's a python library that considers ULAs as "not global",
and "private" -- contradicting the current RFC4291/RFC4193 specs.

Prior to posting this document, we had some on-list discussion (on the
v6ops list) and also some off-list discussion with some of you (bcc'ed).

The opinions have been in one of these camps:

1) the current specs are coherent and there's no problem

2) There's a problem with the definition of "global scope" -- so ULAs
*are* global scope, but global scope does not really stand for the
definition in RFC4007.

3) The definitions in RFC4007 are correct, and thus the scope of ULAs is
not really global, but scopee(link-local) < scope(ULAs) < scope(global)

While this document does propose a way out (it assumes #3 above, and
acts accordingly), I believe the first step is to agree on what "global
scope" means and, subsequently, whether ULAs are really "global scope"
or not. Since opinions on the topic have vary a lot (as noted above),
I've posted this I-D and I'm sending this note for further input from
the WG.

Thanks!

Regards,
Fernando