[LACNIC/Napla] Launch of the Haitian IXP

Stéphane Bruno sbruno at websystems.ht
Sat May 16 08:20:52 BRT 2009

Hello all,

It is a pleasure to me to announce that the AHTIC Internet Exchange
Point (AIX) has been established and is operational since May 5 2009.
The IX is operated by the not-for-profit Association Haïtienne pour le
développement des TIC (AHTIC). AHTIC regroups all operators (Telephony
and ISP), computer vendors, integrators and developers, consultants,
universities and all businesses evolving in the ICT field.

The establishment of the IX is a result of a number of years of work to
build trust among operators, to convince them of the benefits of the IX.
Several meetings and workshops have been organized on the matter, and we
had the support of many organizations along the way, like UNDP, AFNIC,
the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs, LACNIC, PCH, and finally NSRC
from the University of Oregon which donated the equipments and helped
setup the IX.

Currently, there are 4 ISP connected to the IX, a fifth one will join
shortly after having completed its assignment of ASN and IP from LACNIC.
Then, the next one will be a GSM operator which also provides Internet
access. This represents 6 operators on a total of 9 operating in Haiti.

Special thanks to Steven Huter, José Dominguez, Alain Aina, from NSRC,
and special thanks to Max Larson Henry who worked on the project with me
during all those years, and to Reynold Guerrier who was the first to
bring the issue in the 2001 .ht Summit.

We will shortly share the web address of the Exchange for further
information.

Regards,
Stéphane Bruno