[lacnog] Making Use of 240/4 NetBlock Re: 202203131603.AYC

Abraham Y. Chen aychen en avinta.com
Dom Mar 13 18:33:04 -03 2022

Hi, Fernando:

1)    I am glad that you like the Unicast Extension Project. Our effort
is along the same line of thinking, but one step further toward the
practice by presenting a specific application example.

2)    EzIP starts from utilizing the 240/4 netblock as the fourth
reusable private network address pool. As such, each RAN (Regional Area
Network) implementing the EzIP scheme will be entirely isolated from the
existing Internet proper by an RG (Residential Gateway) via the
demarcation concept. That is, an RAN is free of the influence from the
Internet, if so chosen, as long as the IP packets between the two
conform to applicable internet protocols. In other words, an RAN is an
overlay network tethered from the existing Internet core via one IPv4
public address as the umbilical cord. An RAN is able to provide all
desired contemporary Internet services utilizing desired technologies,
while avoiding the baggage in the existing Internet operation.

3)    On the other hand, since the 240/4 address pool is much bigger
than the conventional three private netblocks combined, an RAN can serve
IoTs of a population up to around 39M, even before making use of any of
the conventional three netblocks. In terms of geographical coverage,
this turns out to be able to cover the largest city of the world, the
Tokyo Metro, which is bigger than any of the 75% smaller countries
worldwide. Since the current Internet equipment either ignores or drops
240/4 addressed IP packets, an RAN can be deployed with its own routers
(called SPR - Semi-Public Router) and then grows on its own pace
anywhere, without the fear of the interference with the existing
Internet in either direction. Of course, any existing equipment wishing
to participate in the EzIP scheme (by disabling the program code that
has been disabling the use of the 240/4 netblock) will speed up the
global deployment process.

4)    A quick rule-of-the-thumb calculation shows that fewer than one
thousand IPv4 public addresses will be more than suffice for this
addressing system. (For the reference, each of the two most populous
countries, China 1.5B and India 1.4B, only needs at most six IPv4 public
addresses for implementing this scheme.) This frees up significant
number of IPv4 addresses.

5)    In summary, EzIP deployment can not only explicitly identify every
premises (or, even individuals) on the internet for providing improved
operations, but also free up IPv4  addresses, leading to other potential
benefits as mentioned by related EzIP documents.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Regards,

Abe (2022-03-13 17:32 EDT)