[LACNIC/Politicas] LAC-2023-6 revision

Robert Story rstory at ant.isi.edu
Wed Nov 29 16:30:19 -03 2023

Hello all,

First, thank you to everyone who commented on the initial proposal. I am
going to start on V2 of LAC-2023-6, and I would like some input on how
you think I should proceed.

# Options for updating the current proposal

* Option 1: A simple tweak to the original proposal.

The original language added to the second paragraph of 1.2 was:
"*Exceptions may be granted to organizations outside the region which
provide global critical internet infrastructure (eg. DNS Root
Servers).*"

We could simply make the exception apply to Root Server Operators
(RSOs): "*Exceptions may be granted to organizations outside the region which
are Root Server Operators for the purpose of providing global anycast
DNS root service.*

* Option 2: Add the exception under the "Anycast" paragraph in 1.2.

The fourth paragraph of 1.2 already lists exceptions for anycast
service, but still specifies organizations must be in the region. A
new paragraph could be added for DNS Root Server Operators:

"DNS Root Server Operators" that are legally constituted outside the
service region may be granted an exception for numbering resources as
long as they are used for providing global anycast DNS root service."

* Option 3: Add the exception in v4/v6 micro assignments (2.3.3.2 and
  4.4.5)

These 2 sections are the ones that talk about critical infrastructure
assignments, which are the types of assignments that should be used for
DNS root service. This requires adding text in two places, but adds
clarity about the type of resources to be assigned.

* Option 4: Option 1 or 2 + specifying micro assignments

Alternatively, the text in options 1 and 2 could specifically mention
micro assignments, but it feels odd putting such specific details in an
early and otherwise very general section of the policy.

# Additional changes

* Addition 1: Add text to also allow ASN assignments

Some Root Server Operators use unique ASN numbers for each of their
instances, so that should be considered as well. Section 3 doesn't have
detailed sub-sections like the micro assignment policies do, so I'm
open to suggestions on where to add text and how to word it.

Perhaps the easiest way would be to use Option 4 above, and mention
ASNs as well as micro assignments in section 1.2.

# Conclusion

I hope that one of the ideas I've proposed covers the concerns that
were expressed with version 1. If not, please let me know so that I can
try and address those concerns.

Apologies for the English. When the discussion seems to have consensus
on the best way forward (or if there is no discussion!), I'll start a
new thread in Spanish for a broader reach.

Regards,
Robert

--
USC Information Sciences Institute <http://www.isi.edu/>