[BCOP] BCOP Draft-2: open for comments

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Tue Jun 19 05:35:03 BRT 2018

Yeah, I've the same view. Today any CPE must have good IPv4+IPv6 support and the relevant RFCs matched.

IPv4 is always there, but IPv6 not. Sometimes the people that are the decision makers on purchasing CPEs aren't engineers knowing the latest status of the technology, they are just people contracted to "save money".

This has been one of the main reasons for the delayed introduction of IPv6 in residential networks: CPEs where not ready, because people responsible for purchasing them was not still asking for that to the vendors, despite they can expect that the life time of a CPE must be between 5 and 10 years ...

And because CPE vendors didn't get sufficient request from the market, they didn't take care of it.

In the last years, this changed for "basic" IPv6 support (dual-stack) and some IPv6 in IPv4 transition technologies, but again, they didn't considered that will need IPv6-only support and IPv4-as-a-Service (so IPv4 in IPv6) before the end-of-life of the CPEs, so as usual "man is the only animal that trips over the same stone twice".

Today NOT supporting IPv6 (and IPv4-as-a-Service) MUST be considered a security issue.

Regards,

Jordi