[lacnog] Fwd: Fwd: I-D Action:draft-azinger-scalable-addressing-00.txt

Fernando Gont fernando en gont.com.ar
Sab Sep 25 06:48:37 BRT 2010

Folks,

FYI.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Fwd: I-D Action:draft-azinger-scalable-addressing-00.txt
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 23:51:05 -0700
From: Fred Baker <fred en cisco.com>
To: IPv6 operators forum <ipv6-ops en lists.cluenet.de>
CC: Paul Wilson <pwilson en apnic.net>, John Curran <jcurran en arin.net>,
    Axel Pawlik <axel en ripe.net>, Raul Echeberria <raul en lacnic.net>,
   "Adiel A.Akplogan" <ceo en afrinic.net>

I would appreciate opinions from the operators forum; please post
comments to v6ops en ietf.org.

The IPv6 Operations Working Group has been asked to adopt this document
as a working group draft. In essence, the outcome would become a
suggestion to the RIR and *NOG communities regarding the way the IETF
would suggest that IPv6 prefixes be allocated. Note the use of the word
"suggest". In summary, what this says is that the IETF holds no strong
opinions about specific prefix lengths or boundaries, but strongly feels
that the allocation policies should be scalable - which means that PI
allocations to edge networks should be done only when Really Truly
Appropriate.

My question is: is this something that the operational community would
consider helpful, or is it something the operational community would
prefer the IETF kept its nose out of? If the operational community would
find it helpful, is the specific suggestion reasonable from an
operational perspective?

Fred Baker
Chair IPv6 Operations WG

Begin forwarded message: