[lacnog] [afnog] IPv 6 Point to Point at /64?

Luis Carlos Solano lsolano en racsa.co.cr
Mie Jun 6 19:29:26 BRT 2012

I'd like to put it in this way:

- using /64 for everything is of course a waste (using 2 out of millions
of millions IPs contained in that /64) but,

- it does not mean we'll make the same mistake we did with iPv4, because,

- If we use /64 for everything, we have -today- 61 global bits for subnets!

--
Luis Carlos.

On 6/6/12 4:11 PM, Arturo Servin wrote:
> 	Sorry, we agree to disagree. I do not buy the waste of IPv6 addresses argument. If it were, we should start reviewing SLAAC.
>
> 	The real problem with /64 IMHO is security; it is just a tiny fraction of the space that we already wasting.
>
> Regards,
> as
>
> On 6 Jun 2012, at 19:06, Rodrigo Arenas wrote:
>
>> ok, / 112 seems sufficient, just to make it clear / 64 is a waste of addresses, not about being good or bad, say that we have now a big space of addresses avaiable does not mean we must wasting space as we did initially in ipv4 ... we do not know how will be the development of  the use of ipv6 addresses and just at around the corner our capacity for handling routes tables could far exceed our current perspectives
>>
>> Cheers
>> Rodrigo
>>

>> On Jun 6, 2012, at 5:45 PM, Arturo Servin wrote:
>>

>>> 	Good points!
>>>
>>> 	/64 is very convenient that fits all, but also may have some security issues. 112 does not sound bad at all.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> .as

Luis Carlos