[lacnog] Can "domestic TLD" exist?

Rubens Kuhl rubensk en gmail.com
Sab Dic 28 17:31:29 BRST 2013

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Eduardo Trápani <etrapani en gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A few days ago I found this text in the .cn article in Wikipedia[1]:
>
> > CNNIC proposes Chinese domain names in .公司 (".com" in Chinese) and .网络
> (".net" in Chinese). However, these are not recognized by ICANN and are
> only available via domestic domain name registrar.
>
> Wondering if that could ever happen (a domestic TLD) I found out that an
> agreement had been reached with ICANN on Nov 13 2013[2][3], so that the
> Wikipedia page is no longer correct.
>
> *But* I still don't know though if for a while they did use those
> domains or not. I guess it wouldn't make a lot of sense to have country-
> or region-wide TLDs, but they could be used. And having them in use
> could help them getting the approval from ICANN. Does anybody know more
> about this? It's interesting...

The Chinese TLDs operated against a principle that ICANN has defended since
its existence, described in 2001's ICP-3:
http://www.icann.org/en/about/unique-authoritative-root

What now happened is they have applied thru the existing expansion process
and were granted the TLDs as nobody else applied for it, so now the Chinese
root and the ICANN root will converge.

Rubens