[lacnog] Problemas en torno a SLAAC/DHCPv6-PD (nuevo IETF I-D)

Fernando Frediani fhfrediani en gmail.com
Jue Ene 31 10:42:05 -02 2019

Hello Fernando.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

This behavior is quiet common in some scenarios and causes,
unfortunately, different views from users and some technical people
believing that "IPv6 is making Internet slower".
I had the impression, in some occasions, that old IPv6 addresses hang in
devices were more a OS issue than a SLAAC, but what you describe in the
Draft makes sense.

One thing I have sympathy is, where possible, allocate always stable
prefixes so the same Prefix to the same user using the
Delegated-IPv6-Prefix and Delegated-IPv6-Prefix-Pool in RADIUS and
therefore eliminating this issue, easing the user identification should
you are required by the Estate and reducing the amount of necessary log.

Reading the Draft I am wondering here how and if this mechanism could
also be applicable for something I have put here a while ago: two CPEs
in the same Layer 2 advertising their addresses with different
Priorities and one the one with higher priority looses connectivity to
the upstream immediately deprecate its addresses announced to the LAN
letting the less priority CPE addresses be the ones used by devices to
go out to the internet making the IPv6 failover seamless in Home/SOHO
scenarios where BGP is not available or suitable.

Best regards
Fernando Frediani