[lacnog] Question about 240/4 space

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet en consulintel.es
Mie Jul 24 17:25:30 -03 2019

Hi Fernando,

We have debated this over and over in IETF.

The point is, if only one CE vendor in the world doesn't update the firmware to support 240, it becomes useless as the communication between two clients of two ISPs (and one of them not supporting 240), will not be viable.

Now, do you think you will be able to convince all the CE in the next 10 years (or even 20), to update that in the firmware for every CE model, and then all the ISPs/end-users to apply the new firmware?

What you do with the CEs that don't allow firmware updates, for example because the vendor died and nobody has the "code"?

I think it is much easier to dedicate this effort to IPv6 deployment even if you can find the same problems as for supporting the 240 (such as CEs that can't be updated for whatever reason).

This is not even considering that 240 may be blocked by equipment in the ISPs, transit providers, etc.

Of course, not to forget that may be some apps or OS, will NOT work with 240, and that means you need to update devices that use old OS or apps which the vendor doesn't longer exist!

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet