[lacnog] Question about 240/4 space

Eduardo Cota cota en fing.edu.uy
Jue Jul 25 13:13:28 -03 2019

On Thu, 25 Jul 2019, Alejandro Acosta wrote:

> On 7/24/19 4:16 PM, Fernando Frediani wrote:
>

>> On this basis I wanted also to understand also who was the 'clever'
>> idea to deny forwarding to this packets in firmware to something
>> tagged as "Future Use", therefore that had the expectation to be used
>> one day in the future ?
>

> Hello, I have followed all the thread waiting for someone to answer the
> question above :-)

Of course I am not authoritative on this, but if I was designing any
software/OS/firmware, why should I assume that "Future Use" will be
"unicast"? We already have unicast, multicast, some limited forms of
broadcast... Which forwarding rules should I use?

If "Future use" had been changed to "unicast" circa 1990-2000 (when
address depletion was predicted and band-aids defined), nowadays we could
be using them. Changing their status today seems useless.

Yours,
 	Eduardo.