[lacnog] Question about 240/4 space

Carlos Marcelo Martinez Cagnazzo carlosm3011 en gmail.com
Vie Jul 26 11:10:29 -03 2019

Hi

> On Jul 25, 2019, at 11:55 AM, Alejandro Acosta <alejandroacostaalamo en gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 7/24/19 4:16 PM, Fernando Frediani wrote:
>

>> On this basis I wanted also to understand also who was the 'clever'
>> idea to deny forwarding to this packets in firmware to something
>> tagged as "Future Use", therefore that had the expectation to be used
>> one day in the future ?

It is actually the _expected behavior_ of the forwarding plane. A router SHOULD NOT forward packets with destination addresses in space that it is not supposed to be visible in the routing table.

Packets with addresses in this space are “martians” [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martian_packet <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martian_packet>], and if forwarded widely on the Internet, could be easily be used to spoof origin addresses and perform DDoS attacks, among other things.

It would certainly have been smarter to have some way for routers to fetch a file with a list of non-martian blocks and have the forwarding planes auto-configure themselves based on that list. Something similar to the RTR feed RPKI validators send to validating routers. Sadly, it’s a bit too late for that.

Cheers!

/Carlos