[lacnog] [Ietf-lac] Fwd: ietf meeting fees

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet en consulintel.es
Jue Jun 27 11:48:39 -03 2019

El 27/6/19 16:35, "LACNOG en nombre de Fernando Gont" <lacnog-bounces en lacnic.net en nombre de fgont en si6networks.com> escribió:

    On 26/6/19 18:42, Lee Howard wrote:
    > I have not been following this conversation, because it seems like one
    > that is specifically about the Latin America region, and my Spanish is poor.
    >
    > I agree with you that it is difficult to have as strong a voice in IETF
    > without physically attending meetings. Even though I had leadership
    > positions,	 I had to stop attending because the travel was too expensive.

    That's a point I had tried to make many times on this list and, and,
    unfortunately, it has been debated against.

    FWIW, for participants of this region, the situation is just exacerbated.

    > What would you think if an organization hired a few people to
    > participate, and summarized the important issues? Maybe a membership
    > organization, where the members would decide which issues were most
    > important, sponsors would prepare webinars to explain the technologies,
    > and staff would summarize key issues to members, and describe key
    > considerations to the IETF?

    Certainly that would be great, particularly if that helped support
    ongoing work  -- as opposed to just have these people be read-only.

The problem of this approach is that co-chairs (example v6ops), if you come back to the WG and say "I'm the organization x (let's suppose LACNOG for this example) we have exposed this ID to our community, 20 members said that they are supporting this document, 1 against", they will tell you: Ask the 21 people to say it in the v6ops list. And then you tell those 21 folks to do so, and they will *NOT*.

    > Staff could not represent members - that's not how the IETF works

    Well,  this one is debatable: folks use their affiliations everywhere,
    don't they?  ;-)

    > With a little help from people within the region, like you and Carlos
    > and maybe some of the local organizations, the effort could be
    > maintained in several languages.
    >
    > Would this help, or would it dilute the contribution of people in the
    > region?

    Anything that can help some people engaged is of value.

    As noted above, I think it is important that folks attending don't
    simply attend, but actively contribute.

    I don't want to populate the meetings with people from the region for
    the sake of it, but rather make it possible for the region to contribute
    work to the IETF.

    Thoughts?

    Thanks!

    Cheers,