[lacnog] IX LAN Prefixes - Should I Automate a Discard?

Job Snijders job en ntt.net
Lun Ene 13 18:27:03 GMT+3 2020

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 10:22 PM Fernando Frediani <fhfrediani en gmail.com> wrote:
> Douglas, I am not sure using PeeringDB for this would be the best thing. Although it is a great tool it is mainly for other proposals and although it has pretty good and updated information it will never be as precise as Whois data from RIRs.

Yeah, this raises a good point: not all IXPs want their Peering LAN
Prefix to be unreachable. So if one automatically generates a list
based of PeeringDB, that list is generated without consideration for
the IXP Operator's own wishes. A filter of sorts needs to be applied
on that list to know whether an IXP wants the LAN prefix to be
not-routed or not.

What one could do is to take the list of IXP Peering LAN prefixes from
PeeringDB and intersect it with the list of all prefixes _exclusively_
covered by RPKI ROAs with AS0, and put that in a "route-set:" which
can then be used via bgpq4. Which brings kind of brings us back to
observing that deploying RPKI Origin Validation gives you all that for
free, and saves you building the aforementioned pipelines.

Kind regards,

Job