[lacnog] Bogon route objects in the LACNIC IRR

Job Snijders job en sobornost.net
Sab Ago 14 04:40:52 -03 2021

Greetings all,

Ronald F Guilmette appears to misunderstand how the RPKI works, and also
appears to be unaware of the origins of the LACNIC IRR database content.
The route/route6 objects in the LACNIC IRR are a direct copy of
validated RPKI ROAs. The LACNIC IRR exists as a (much appreciated!)
facility for legacy systems which do not yet natively support RPKI.

This lack of understanding does not deter Ronald from demanding deletion
of objects! :-) Ronald also provides NO EVIDENCE that RPKI ROAs
authorizing unassigned ASNs cause anyone any trouble.

I'll copy+paste some paragraphs from a different forum where a similar
discussions took place.

"For sound operational reasons both in the RIPE database and in the RPKI
in general, the IP resource holder is permitted to designate any ASN
they wish as the origin."
source: https://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/archives/db-wg/2021-July/007083.html

"In many RPKI deployment scenarios it is *** technically impossible ***
for the RIR to impose restrictions on the content of the ASId field,
because the RIR is not involved in the issuance or publication of said
objects."
source: https://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/archives/db-wg/2021-July/007091.html

In summary: resource holders who create RPKI ROAs are (by design)
allowed to (mis)configure their ROAs. The IP space is theirs, and if the
resouce holder chooses to authorize an arbitrary unsigned 32-bit
integer, than that is what it is.

Kind regards,

Job