[lacnog] Subasignación de prefijos a otro ASN y el tema con los RoA

Rubens Kuhl rubensk en gmail.com
Vie Feb 4 20:08:48 -03 2022

On Fri, Feb 4, 2022 at 7:36 PM Fernando Frediani <fhfrediani en gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04/02/2022 19:22, Mike Burns wrote:
>
> Hi Fernando,
>
> The point of this list is to educate and discuss.
> I have pointed out very clearly that leasing is not a justification to
> receive more ARIN addresses, you are just repeating what I said. In fact the
> proposal I linked earlier describes that situation exactly.
>
> When one side of the argument is wrong and the other side is right, winning
> the argument educates the list.
> That's not the point, however, and I agree with you there.
>
> The readers of this list should go away with the knowledge that leasing RSA
> addresses and receiving an ROA is something done every day and breaks no
> rules for addresses registered in ARIN, RIPE, and APNIC. And that those
> blocks can be used anywhere, regardless of where they are registered.
>
> Sorry, but for APNIC that remains untrue.
>
> Even if it is a common practice from you knowledge, I suggest you check it officially with APNIC in order to avoid people leasing APNIC blocks to not get in trouble. APCNIC already said it they do not recognize leasing as a justification not only to receive allocations but to keep them for that usage. I will share below part of the response that explains it well:

> "To receive resources for the purpose of “leasing” them to other parties is not recognised under APNIC policies as an acceptable use. Fundamental to our commitment to a global, open, stable and secure Internet that serves the entire Asia Pacific region, APNIC resource are delegated based on demonstrated needs.  In order to receive resources (by allocation from APNIC or through transfer from others), the recipient must demonstrate their need for those resources by describing the proposed use of the resources in some specific network infrastructure which they own or control. Implicitly, the recipient could not receive addresses for subsequent reallocation to other purposes, because the actual use of the addresses would be unknown and cannot be subjected to the required assessment of the need.

While APNIC went more to the basics of allocations in that answer,
there are also specific violations that address lessers are likely to
violate:

https://www.apnic.net/community/policy/resources
Section 3.1.3 - "LIRs must only delegate addresses to customers who
will be using those addresses in relation to network connectivity
services provided by the LIR."
Section 3.2.7 - Address stockpiling is forbidden

> APNIC policies also state that if the declared use of allocated resources changes fundamentally, then the resources may be subject to reclamation by APNIC"

https://www.apnic.net/community/policy/resources
Sections 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2 are pretty clear of that. So that makes
AFRINIC, APNIC and LACNIC as RIRs where leasing is a dangerous game to
play.

Rubens