[lacnog] Making Use of 240/4 NetBlock Re 202203132150.AYC

Abraham Y. Chen aychen en avinta.com
Lun Mar 14 00:13:54 -03 2022

Hi, Tomas:

1)    "  ... would have to plan the upgrade of all of our routers, spend
days programming the upgrade, spend nights in maintenance windows, maybe
pay for remote hands, etc. ...
the cost of the so-called EzIP is not minimal.":    Perhaps you did not
recognize three characteristics of the EzIP scheme in this respect:

     A.    It is an incremental enhancement (more addresses become
usable). It does not require end-user upgrade. So, it does not interfere
existing operations,

     B.    It is localized within a RAN (Regional Area Network), or a
partial branch of such, and generally deploys down-stream. So, it should
be within one Network Operator's sole jurisdiction,

     C.    It is a "generic" type of software upgrade. That is, all
equipment from manufacturers using the same root software block are
likely making the same code change.

     As such, the software update for EzIP operation may be done as part
of periodical debugging type of down-loads, not extra burden on
operator's staff. Then, the added capability can be idle in the updated
equipment until down stream facility is ready to take advantage of the
expanded capability. From my knowledge of equipment maintenance, this is
no big deal. Although this is not without efforts, it would be finite
compared to the IPv6 deployment that requires wide spread compatibility
through the Internet (cooperation of both ends of a link), before the
roll-out of the capability is feasible.

Hope this clarifies your concern.

Regards,

Abe (2022-03 13 23:13 EDT)