[LAC-TF] Report: 7th FLIP6 - LAC IPv6 TF

Mariela Rocha marielac.rocha at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 17:41:14 BRT 2009

Dear friends and colleagues,

As you are already aware, from May 25 to May 29 the LACNIC XII event was
held in Panama City (Panama).

This event provided the framework for the 7^th Latin American IPv6 Forum
- FLIP6 and the annual meeting of the IPv6 Task Force for Latin America
and the Caribbean (LAC IPv6 TF).

These meetings were held during the morning of Thursday, 28 May, and
covered an extremely varied program that included leading contributors
from the region and special guests from other regions.

After some words of welcome to the Forum, the annual report on the
activities carried out on the mailing list and by the LAC IPv6 Task
Force was presented, as well as a new presentation on the /Transition to
IPv6/ portal for Latin America and the Caribbean, which included, among
other information, statistics on the number of visits received by the
website, countries with the largest number of visitors, improvements to
the portal, etc. and, above all, a specific invitation to visit and
participate in this initiative.

As during the previous edition of the Forum, LACNIC staff, with the
cooperation of Alain Durand of Comcast, announced to the audience that,
for those wishing to participate in the experiment, a wireless
connection to an IPv6 network with special characteristics was
available. In this case the network implemented Dual Stack Lite
(DS-Lite). The invitation to participate in the experiment was
accompanied by a presentation about this technology, made by Alain
Durand himself.

During the course of the morning, different personalities from around
the region made technical presentations on IPv6, such as, for example,
"IPv6 Multicast" – a presentation that showed the issues that must be
considered by those configuring multicast when implementing it under the
new version of the protocol. This work was prepared jointly by Jordi
Palet (Consulintel, ES) and Guillermo Cicileo (Red de Interconexión
Universitaria, AR), and presented by the latter.

In order to kick-start the debate, Roque Gagliano (LACNIC) and Carlos
Martinez (ANTEL - UY) presented their work titled "6to4 at Home" and
invited participants to comment on their 6to4 experiences and the
problems/benefits they had found in relation to this solution.

A special guest of the event was José Guzmán (Google Content
Distribution Program Manager for Ibero-America), who introduced us to
the world of Google when implementing IPv6, sharing anecdotes and his
vision on the adoption of IPv6 in Latin America. Another guest who
honored us with his presence was Martin Levy, whose experience in the
development and implementation of new technologies was once again
apparent in his presentation on the deployment of 6to4 and Teredo at
Hurricane Electric.

Another highlight was the fact that, as a result of the call for
presentations that was made through the list and after their approval on
the part of the Evaluation Committee, two participants from the region
were able to present their work. We are talking about Jorge Niedbalski
(Chile) and Santiago Aggio (Argentina). Jorge contributed his work
titled *Considerations on the Development and Use of IPv6-Compatible
Software*, while Santiago immersed us in the world of virtualization
when attempting to work with IPv6.

Continuing with our region, we fulfilled the goal of presenting to the
audience the progress made in the task that the LAC IPv6 Task Force set
for itself in terms of preparing a FAQ document available for the entire
community, who in turn contribute to its development. The person in
charge of this presentation was Jesús Martínez (Cuba), with the
cooperation of fellow Cuban, Jorge Villa. Jesús and Jorge not only
showed the importance of working together but also made the audience
smile with their usual sympathy and warmth.

In closing the event, Raúl Echeberría of LACNIC made a presentation on
the history of our LAC IPv6 Task Force. With his characteristic fluency
and clarity, Raúl showed the audience how simple and yet how important
it is to create IPv6 task forces in the countries of our region,
inviting those present to participate in the LAC TF and existing
national task forces, as well as to create new task forces in those
countries where they do not yet exist.

Finally, we would like to extend our thanks to all those whose
participation made this new edition of FLIP6 and the LAC IPv6 Task Force
meeting possible, to the first-class presenters who captivated the
audience, to the presenters from our region whose work showed that Latin
America and the Caribbean are still true to their conviction that the
transition must continue moving forward, and to the public who
participated not only within the room but also via webcast, becoming
once again a part of this major cooperation initiative for the entire
region.

Mariela Rocha
Chair of the LAC IPv6 TF