[LAC-TF] Productos DHCP IPv6

Erick Lobo Marín erick.lobo at cgr.go.cr
Tue Sep 23 18:44:36 BRT 2014

Copio respuesta de ISC:

On 23.09.2014 16:37, Erick Lobo Marín wrote:
> Hi, What alternative recommended for select DHCP in a Network Enterprise:
>
> a) The roadmap ISC DHCP 4.3 .x
> b) The roadmap kea DHCP, currently in version 0.9 ?
Those two DHCP solutions are in radically different cycles.
ISC DHCP is an old, well proven software with lots of features and
history behind it. Its development is slower than Kea. ISC provides paid
support for ISC DHCP, if you need it. ISC DHCP supports failover for
DHCPv4, while Kea does not.

Kea is a new solution that officially haven't reached 1.0. ISC does not
offer support contract for it yet. It is in many cases much faster than
ISC DHCP. It has fewer features, but has some features that are not
present in ISC DHCP (e.g. hooks or lease storage in MySQL or Postgres).
As this is a relatively young software, it is sometimes a bit rough on
edges. On the other hand, it is being very actively developed.
Significant new features are added every release.

If you report a bug, it is more likely that Kea will be able to deliver
a fix faster. (That obviously depends on the severity of the bug. I'm
thinking about a typical bug, not a security issue).

So if you consider yourself an early adopter, you may want to take a
look at Kea. If you want to know current state of Kea capabilities, the
following 2 links could be useful:
http://kea.isc.org/wiki/KeaUpdate2 - May 2014
http://kea.isc.org/wiki/KeaUpdate3 - Set 2014

So it's really up to you and your specific preferences. Do you need to
keep your leases in MySQL? Use Kea. Do you need to do fancy client
management and access control? ISC DHCP will probably be better. Do you
plan to extend your DHCP server with your own logic, consult with
external database, log in some unusual way? Then perhaps hooks in Kea
are more appealing for you? Excited about new features being added
frequently? Pick Kea. Need stability with minimal changes? Pick ISC
DHCP, preferably ESV. Do you need host reservation? If yes, what is your
deployment timeframe? ISC DHCP supports it for a decade or more. Kea
will support it in upcoming 0.9.1, which is couple months away.

Need high performance? How big is your enterprise? How many leases/sec
or how many subnets you expect the server to be handling? Do you need
full failover? Maybe MySQL or Postgres high availability solutions will
be enough for you?

These are all questions you will need to answer yourself. My
recommendation is that you should get both, test them and see which one
works better for you.

Hope that helps,
Tomek

On 23/09/14 21:45, Erick Lobo Marín wrote:
> Hi Tomek, Very complete your response. A doubt:
> What is the extended support version (ESV) release?
See http://www.isc.org/downloads/software-support-policy/

Atentamente,
Erick Lobo
Costa Rica