[Napla] Servicios en los NAPs

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Wed Feb 22 19:13:03 BRT 2006

      On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Yuri Herrera B. wrote:
    > Siempre que estos precios estén bien calculados para poder, no sólo
    > lograr una buena operación, sino tener también capacidad de
    > inversión futura (para renovación de equipos por ejemplo).

Well, I understand that this seems sensible and businesslike and
responsible, but it also means holding money, and forecasting future
costs, and those are both very expensive things to do.  Far more expensive
than replacing hardware, in the long run.

I'd strongly encourage you to look at the Seattle exchange as an example
of a well-run IX.  They offer 100/Gig/10Gig ports at no cost, and have
_never_ charged anyone anything, in about ten years of operation.  They
pass a lot of traffic (several participants with multi-gigabit sustained
traffic), and don't feel a need to have a savings account.  Here's
something to think about:  If you've saved up money, and need a new
chassis-based GigE switch, how long would it take you, between deciding
that you needed one, and having it show up in your office?  You call the
vendor, get referred to a local dealer, leave a message, get a call back
from a salesperson, haggle over the price, fax over a purchase order, wait
for them to check your credit, they order it from the manufacturer, it
comes through customs...  What, two or three weeks, at a minimum, right?
The last few times the Seattle exchange has needed an upgrade, they've
never had to wait more than THIRTY MINUTES for the switch to show up.
When something's needed, they tell the IX mailing list what they need,
and someone brings one over.  Because they're offering a good value to
their members, and their members understand how important that is to their
businesses.  No need for fees, or a bank account, or deciding how much to
charge.  It's a much cleaner, simpler, more efficient way of running
things.  And it's much easier for participants to trust them, if the
participants don't have to trust them with their money.

Seattle is an excellent example, and if you look at the very
well-thought-out recent reorganization of the Brazilian IXPs, you'll find
that it follows (and extends upon) Seattle's model.  Frederico Neves went
to last year's Seattle IX annual meeting and talked with the members
there, before returning to Sao Paulo and redesigning their IX topology and
policies.  If anyone's interested in a field-trip, the next Seattle IX
annual meeting is April 25.  :-)

    > Si bien la utilización de un puerto de mayor capacidad no tendría un
    > precio extra, se debería de cumplir con el requisito de llegar a
    > cierto nivel mínimo de tráfico para tener el derecho de acceder a dicho
    > puerto.

Yes, exactly.  It does no one any good to have an expensive port sitting
idle...  Whether by policy or by price, the ports need to be allocated to
those who can use them most effectively, since that's what creates value
for all the participants collectively.

                                -Bill