[LACNIC/Napla] Fwd: [icacaribbean] Dominican Government spurs the Network Access Point

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Wed Mar 14 14:06:38 BRT 2007

On Mar 14, 2007, at 7:29 AM, Raul Echeberria wrote:
> ...el proyecto de Rep. Dominicana es algo que funcionara como si
> fuera un proyecto privado pero financiado por el gobierno. No creo
> que se necesite de ninguna regulación al respecto. El mercado dirá
> si funciona o no.

Speaking from PCH's point of view, although we're normally invited to
assist in the formation of an IX by either a group of ISPs, or by a
national ISP industry association, there have also been occasions,
much less frequent, when ISPs simply haven't been getting an IX
built, and a particularly forward-thinking ministry of communications
or treasury or regulator asks us to assist, in order to stem the
flight of capital through unreciprocated internationally-purchased
transit.  Jamaica is one such country, for example.  There are also
many successful IXes which have received start-up funding from
governments.  Also, governments participate in most exchanges, as
ordinary users, connecting their BGP routers to the switch fabric.
And this is also desirable.  So I wouldn't say that governmental
involvement is problematic, per se.

I believe, however, that regulation in this area is a much more
delicate issue.  We had a very interesting panel discussion at the
APRICOT meeting two weeks ago, on what the role of government might
be with respect to Internet exchange points or Internet traffic
exchange between ISPs.  We started with a very diverse group of
panelists, but found common ground, which surprised me.  Essentially
all of the panelists agreed that a government was well within its
rights to make sure that at least one IX exists within its borders,
and that domestic traffic (traffic from one person inside the country
to another person inside the country) does not cross the national
border.  Also, that if an IX begins to have trouble, losing
participants or traffic, and no other IX comes into existence to
solve the problem, that the government should probably step in to
stabilize it, rather than just watching it collapse, as happened in
Cape Town.

                                 -Bill