[LACNIC/Napla] Ayuda en la configuracion de IX en Bolivia

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Tue Oct 21 22:35:04 BRST 2008

On Oct 21, 2008, at 9:59 AM, Javier Galvez wrote:
> I currently have the following equipment for startup
> 2 Cisco Routers 4908 (8 gigabit ethernet)
> 2 cisco routers 2948-L3 (48 fast ethernets & 2 Gigabit)
> 1 Server
> Due to the fact that in the beginning the traffic may be low, we
> started
> with this equipment
> Anything else that we may need?

Hola, Javier.

You've already got quite a bit of equipment, though it's not exactly
the pieces you probably want for an IXP.  As Milton has pointed out,
what you need is a single GigE layer-2 switch, and then you may or may
not want route-servers as well.  The four Cisco switches you have
right now are more complex L3 switch/routers.  You could certainly
configure one of the 4908s to perform the task that you need done, but
really what you want is something more like a 3560G-24TS, which would
give you a mix of SFP and copper GigE ports on a newer platform, with
fewer "features" that you don't want.

> Is there any configuration examples to learn from?

AMS-IX has a good IXP switch configuration checklist, which I'd fully
second, but it can be summarized as "turn all the extra features off:"

http://www.ams-ix.net/technical/config_guide/cisco_configuration_hints.html

The vast majority of the work of setting up an IXP isn't the technical
part, though, it's in getting the participants to agree on policy, and
cooperate on implementation.  This is pretty old now, but it basically
all still holds:

http://www.pch.net/resources/papers//ep-construction/ep-construction.html

Sorry it's all in English.

                                 -Bill