[LACNIC/Napla] Artículos de interés sobre detección de incidencias en la infraestructura de peering y análisis regional del ecosistema de peering

Gael Hernandez gael at pch.net
Thu Aug 10 13:15:48 BRT 2017

Buenas,

Comparto por aquí un par de artículos interesantes. El primero trata
de la detección de cortes e incidencias en la infraestructura utilizada
por los IXPs a través de la observación de información de
enrutamiento, en concreto de las comunidades BGP. El segundo es un
análisis regional del ecosistema de peering publico y privado en las
cinco regiones de Internet.

Saludos,
Gael

**Detecting Peering Infrastructure Outages in the Wild**

Peering infrastructures, namely, colocation facilities and Internet
exchange points, are located in every major city, have hundreds of
network members, and support hundreds of thousands of interconnections
around the globe. These infrastructures are well provisioned and
managed, but outages have to be expected, e.g., due to power failures,
human errors, attacks, and natural disasters. However, little is known
about the frequency and impact of outages at these critical
infrastructures with high peering concentration.

In this paper, we develop a novel and lightweight methodology for
detecting peering infrastructure outages. Our methodology re- lies on
the observation that BGP communities, announced with routing updates,
are an excellent and yet unexplored source of information allowing us to
pinpoint outage locations with high accuracy. We build and operate a
system that can locate the epi- center of infrastructure outages at the
level of a building and track the reaction of networks in near
real-time. Our analysis unveils four times as many outages as compared
to those publicly reported over the past ve years. Moreover, we show
that such outages have signi cant impact on remote networks and peering
infrastructures. Our study provides a unique view of the Internet’s
behavior under stress that often goes unreported

**A Region-Centric Analysis of the Internet Peering Ecosystem**

The Internet is transitioning from a hierarchical structure to a flat
structure where more and more networks participate in public peering at
IXPs and private peering at interconnection facilities to increase
performance and reduce transit costs. PeeringDB is a public online
database containing information about IXPs, facilities, and networks
participating at IXPs and facilities. In this paper, we perform an
in-depth analysis of the PeeringDB data to gain an understanding of the
public and private peering ecosystems in the five regions of the world
(i.e., North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Africa).
We study how IXPs, facilities, and peering networks are distributed
across the five regions. We also investigate how distribution of network
business type, peering policy, and traffic level varies across the five
regions. Our analysis provides a snapshot of the current state of the
peering ecosystems in the five regions of the world and reveals the
similarities and differences between these peering ecosystems.