[LACNIC/Politicas] A propósito del nuevo bloque IPv4 asignado a LACNIC por IANA

Nicolas Antoniello nantoniello at gmail.com
Wed May 21 11:15:27 BRT 2014

Estimados,

Re-envío por esta vía el mail enviado por ICANN.

Saludos,
Nicolas

ICANN News Alert

https://www.icann.org/resources/press-material/release-2-2014-05-20-en

____________________________________

Remaining IPv4 Addresses to be Redistributed to Regional Internet
Registries | Address Redistribution Signals that IPv4 is Nearing Total
Exhaustion

ICANN announced today that it has begun the process of allocating the
remaining blocks of Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) addresses to the
five Regional Internet Registries (RIR). The activation of this procedure
was triggered when Latin America and Caribbean Network Information Centre's
(LACNIC) supply of addresses dropped to below 8 million.

This move signals that the global supply of IPv4 addresses is reaching a
critical level. As more and more devices come online, the demand for IP
addresses rises, and IPv4 is incapable of supplying enough addresses to
facilitate this expansion. ICANN encourages network operators around the
globe to adopt IPv6, which allows for the rapid growth of the Internet.

"We are grateful for the guidance we've received from the RIRs as the
number of unallocated IPv4 addresses dwindles," said Elise Gerich, Vice
President of IANA and Technical Operations at ICANN. "This redistribution
of the small pool of IPv4 addresses held by us ensures that every region
receives an equal number of addresses while we continue to work with the
community to raise support for IPv6."

To handle this critical drop in the numbers available to LACNIC, the five
RIRs' policy making communities established a policy for the equal
redistribution by ICANN. This is known as the allocation phase outlined in
the Global Policy for Post Exhaustion IPv4 Allocation Mechanisms (
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/allocation-ipv4-post-exhaustion-2012-05-08-en
).

"The IANA IPv4 Recovered Address Space registry contained about 20 million
IPv4 addresses earlier today and is now about half that size," said Leo
Vegoda, Operational Excellence Manager at ICANN. "Redistributing
increasingly small blocks of IPv4 address space is not a sustainable way to
grow the Internet. IPv6 deployment is a requirement for any network that
needs to survive."

IPv6 facilitates the exponential growth of the Internet by providing
340-undecillion unique addresses, compared to the 3.7 billion afforded by
IPv4.

"To continue to fuel the economic growth and opportunity that is brought by
the Internet, we are at the point where rapid adoption of IPv6 is a
necessity to maintain that growth," said Gerich.