[LACNIC/Politicas] AFRINIC SUSPENDED CEO TRYING TO ASK GOVERNMENT TO APPOINT DIRECTORS OF RIR

Carlos Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Thu Jul 21 10:06:52 -03 2022

Dear people,

Just as AfriNIC's mandate has absolutely nothing to do with telecommunications regulations, ATU has absolutely no mandate to rule AfriNIC.

This is a protracted conflict we experience in Brazil as well, with Anatel (the telco regulator) trying to take over issues which do not belong to their mandate.

Since CGI.br was created here in 1995, a federal norm (known as "Norma 4"), also issued when CGI.br was launched and still valid, determines clearly that the Internet layers above the telco infrastructure are value-added services which are beyond the reach of telco regulations. BTW, CGI.br was created two years before Anatel came to be.

I hope AfriNIC can overcome this unaceptable intervention.

fraternal regards

--c.a.