[LACNIC/Seguridad] Fwd: Re: question regarding US requirements for journaling public email (possible legislation?)

Fernando Gont fernando en gont.com.ar
Vie Ene 6 04:29:03 BRST 2012

Estimados,

Puede que sea de su interés. Es parte de un thread que está ocurriendo
en la lista de correo de NANOG, en este momento....

Saludos,
Fernando

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: question regarding US requirements for journaling public
email (possible legislation?)
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 15:10:45 -0500
From: Steven Bellovin <smb en cs.columbia.edu>
To: Fred Baker <fred en cisco.com>
CC: nanog en nanog.org <nanog en nanog.org>

On Jan 5, 2012, at 2:16 PM, Fred Baker wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2012, at 10:42 AM, William Herrin wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Eric J Esslinger <eesslinger en fpu-tn.com> wrote:
>>> His response was there is legislation being pushed in both
>>> House and Senate that would require journalling for 2 or 5
>>> years, all mail passing through all of your mail servers.
>>
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> The only relatively recent thing I'm aware of in the Congress is the
>> Protecting Children From Internet Pornographers Act of 2011.
>
> Since you bring it up, I sent this to Eric a few moments ago. Like you, IANAL, and this is not legal advice.
>
>> From: Fred Baker <fred en cisco.com>
>> Date: January 5, 2012 10:46:30 AM PST
>> To: Eric J Esslinger <eesslinger en fpu-tn.com>
>> Subject: Re: question regarding US requirements for journaling public email (possible legislation?)
>>
>> I don't know of anything on email journaling, but you might look into section 4 of the "Protecting Children From Internet Pornographers Act of 2011", which asks you to log IP addresses allocated to subscribers. My guess is that the concern is correct, but the details have morphed into urban legend.
>>
>> http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h112-1981
>> http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110707/04402514995/congress-tries-to-hide-massive-data-retention-law-pretending-its-anti-child-porn-law.shtml
>>
>> I'm not sure I see this as shrilly as the techdirt article does, but it is in fact enabling legislation for a part of Article 20 of the COE Cybercrime Convention http://conventions.coe.int/Treaty/en/Treaties/html/185.htm. US is a signatory. Article 21 is Lawful Intercept as specified in OCCSSS, FISA, CALEA, and PATRIOT. Article 20 essentially looks for retention of mail/web/etc logs, and in the Danish interpretation, maintaining Netflow records for every subscriber in Denmark along with a mapping between IP address and subscriber identity in a form that can be data mined with an appropriate warrant.
>
> I can't say (I don't know) whether the Danish Police have in fact implemented what they proposed in 2003. What they were looking for at the time was that the netflow records would be kept for something on the order of 6-18 months.
>
> From a US perspective, you might peruse
>
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunications_data_retention#United_States

> [...]
Yah, but that's all "non-content records"; it's a far cry from having to
retain the body of every email, which is what he asked about.  As far as
I know -- and I'm on enough tech policy lists that I probably would know
-- nothing like that is being proposed.  That said, for a few industries
-- finance comes to mind -- companies are required to do things like
that by the SEC, but not ISPs per se.  See
http://www.archivecompliance.com/Laws-governing-email-archiving-compliance.html
for some details.