[Ietf-lac] Fwd: We gotta stop meeting like this

Fernando Gont fgont at si6networks.com
Wed Jul 24 09:18:33 -03 2019

Chair de un wg.

FWIW, coincido.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: We gotta stop meeting like this
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2019 19:27:45 -0400
From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf at sandelman.ca>
To: ietf at ietf.org <ietf at ietf.org>

"Maisonneuve, Julien (Nokia - FR/Paris-Saclay)" wrote:
    >> There is value in having to pass some form of "is it worth it" test -
    >> no matter who will be actually paying for it.
    > Doesn't remote meeting participation show some sort of
counter-argument
    > ? Cost is zero, and I haven't noted much disruption in current
meetings
    > (though that would be possible).

Remote participation has a non-incremental cost to the person.

The return on investment can be negative if the person who is remote has not
made human contacts with others that seems to be necessary to establish
enough trust to get work adopted and progressed.  While exceptional people
can do this by email, and this was easier before the continuous September,
it is, I think exceptional.

--
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh
networks [ ]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        |