[lacnog] 36/8 and 42/8 allocated to APNIC

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda en icann.org
Mar Oct 19 17:05:22 BRST 2010

Hi Nico,

On 19 Oct 2010, at 5:06, Nicolas Antoniello wrote:

> Recordar que en realidad a la IANA le queda menos del 5% pues la política global aprobada hace que los últimos 5 se asignen automáticamente a los 5 RIRs... entonces, realmente quedan 7 de los 12 para asignar... ¿¿ un 3% ??

I don't think the important thing is how you count the percentage.

If you count 12 from 256 /8s then it is just under 5%.

If you count 12 from 221 /8s (exclude multicast, future use, 0, 10 and 127)  then it is just over 5%.

The last five /8s to be allocated will still be allocated and I am sure the addresses will be used for networks. So whether you count it as 7+5 /8s or 12 /8s the important thing is that we are using addresses from a finite pool and we are reaching the point where the pool is starting to look very full.

But the RIRs have lots of IPv6 space available and we have more to allocate them when they need it.

Regards,

Leo Vegoda