[lacnog] RV: sudden low spam levels?

alvaro.sanchez en adinet.com.uy alvaro.sanchez en adinet.com.uy
Lun Ene 3 18:53:56 BRST 2011

Me llamó la atención este comentario en nanog.
Han notado disminución de niveles de spam? Algún cambio de patrón?
Alguna explicación?
Saludos,
Alvaro.

----Mensaje original----
De: tme en americafree.tv
Fecha: 03/01/2011 17:39
Para: "Scott Howard"<scott en doc.net.au>
CC: <nanog en nanog.org>, "Ken Chase"<ken en sizone.org>
Asunto: Re: sudden low spam levels?

On Jan 3, 2011, at 2:04 PM, Scott Howard wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Ken Chase <ken en sizone.org> wrote:
>
>> I have two independent mailservers, and two other customers that
run their
>> own
>> servers, all largely unrelated infrastructures and target domains,
suddenly
>> experiencing low levels of spam.
>>

> There's definitely been a drop-off in spam levels over the past
week, which
> comes on top of a general drop over the past few months.

According the to Symantec  "December 2010 State of Spam & Phishing
Report", spam is reducing

http://www.spamfighter.com/News-15570-Spam-Volume-Continues-to-
Decrease-Symantec.htm

I have seen various reports relating this to the taking down of
this or that botnet (see, e.g.,

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Botnet-Holiday-Spam-Levels-Drop-for-
Christmas-566115/ )

but I would take that with a big grain of salt.

Regards
Marshall