[lacnog] RPKI ROAs - Blackhole - Maximum prefix length

Douglas Fischer fischerdouglas en gmail.com
Vie Mayo 17 15:26:17 -03 2019

Hello Job and everyone else!

After a night with that suggestions in mind, I was thinking on some
alternatives...

About de Orign-Validation of /32 or /128
Couldn't be possible a "partial" RPKI validation on prefixes that comes
with the community of black-hole?

When i say "partial", I mean disregard LE of the mask, and only look to
ASN<-> prefix authorization made by the owner of the prefix.
P.S.: I remember to read something like this with IRR announces.

A Simple(stupid) example:
"If community==blackhole and prefix-mask=32 (or 128) and\
origin-validation=conteined_inside_the_mask_announced_in_RPKI then\
accept the prefix and put it on Blackhole action"

Could it be considered an acceptable solution?

About IXPs and Route-Server BlackHole redistribution
I was thinking about a mixed approach with:
  1 - Distributed BlackHole(on the participants) and
  2 - Layer 2 filtering on the ingress directions of the participants ports
      - Based on a dummy/spoofed MAC

P.S.: Why I thought in this alternative?
Some big IXPs today does not have the necessary automation tools to apply
L2/L3 ACLs on their switchs.
But some static configuration on switchs + conditioned adjusts on
Route-servers can give a similar result.

I will try to exemplify:
Route-servers receives Black-Hole Announces, Validate origin, and if it is
"correct", re-announce it with no-export community, with a pre-defined
community meaning "black-hole", and with next-hope with a Dummy IP address
of the MLPA network.
On the participant side, prefixes received with this predefined community
(as in UTRS for example) the router should send that traffic to /dev/null.

A) Well, some participants (those with necessary skills to "drive" an ASN)
will correctly adjust the configurations of their routers to accomplish the
rules of the IXP where they are connected.
 - In this case that traffic will die even before the link to IXP.
(Beautiful)

B) Those that does not fit on the first characteristic will "forget" adjust
their configurations. And it will dive their-selves in two possibilities:
  B.1) Those participants that are completely careless, that will receive
all the prefixes and put on their FIBs without any type of filters...
      In this case, they will receive the routes with the next-hop pointed
to a dummy IP address, and a special server will respond with Mac-Address
that will be blocked on Layer2 Access-list statically configured on all the
participant ports.
      With this trap, the traffic will die in the first contact with the
IXP fabric.(good!)
           P.S.: A "plus" that can be done in this case
           is watch the counters of that access-list.
           If there is any increment on the counter of
           that mac-address, it can triggers some alert,
           mail, or even an electroshock to that specific
           participant.
  B.2) Those participants that made the basic on the filters, rejecting the
prefixes longer than /32 or /48, but stoped in there.
      In this case, the traffic will not die in any place before or during
the fabric of the IXP.
      THIS IS NOT GOOD! But I believe that the percentage of this case can
be smaller then 5%.
      And a partial solution is better than no solution at all.
           P.S.: If the participant that receives that traffic can analyze
with IPFIX, is possible to discover the MAC of the source, and report it
requiring that the filter get adjusted.

Well... What do you think about this "middle-way-cominned" alternative?

Douglas Fernando Fischer
Engº de Controle e Automação