[lacnog] IPv6 in Wifi Hotspots

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet en consulintel.es
Jue Oct 17 06:45:18 -03 2019

Hi Fernando,

El 16/10/19 20:24, "LACNOG en nombre de Fernando Frediani" <lacnog-bounces en lacnic.net en nombre de fhfrediani en gmail.com> escribió:

Thanks for the inputs so far.

Jordi - Getting the addresses via the portal and tie them to the MAC Address may be something that works, but although you don't see a problem with IPv6 Temporary

Actually, I’m convinced is the only way (MAC addresses), as this is the only way that allows the captive portal to keep working even if users or apps make anything with IP addresses. See what Henri posted.

Addresses I think that should be a concern until 100% resolved , even for a few applications otherwise there will be internet browsing problems. As it is a feature of the Operating System it's harder to have a fix in the authorization system.

Is not just OS, is apps the ones that can choose what addresses to use (temporary vs non-temporary, IPv6 vs IPv4), but I’ve not yet seen “general” apps that use the non-temporary ones and work with non-persistent addresses. It doesn’t make sense, it will be a clear software design bug.

Perhaps considering only one address initially (the one that talks to the authorization portal) to authenticate the client and then, after authorized, add a Layer 2 rule to allow everything coming from the MAC Address may be the way to a solution.

You can make sure about that by double checking (as I explained before, having in the portal IPv4-only objects and IPv6-only objects), if both of them match with the same MAC address (they should!).

Regarding the /64 per client I don't think that can be done only via RA at the moment and would require DHCPv6-PD which then is a problem for Android clients and therefore a showstopper.

Read the RFC, it is just RA. This is being used actually by some hot-spot providers. I cannot provide more details, just that it is done with Nokia devices. Anyway, I guess you are interested in using OpenSource, so Nokia details not so useful.

Henri - I am not sure I fully understood your solution and how you the system is able to authorize the client if via the Temporary IPv6 he is talking to the portal or other method. I guess DHCPv6 wouldn't make much difference in this case, again, due to Android clients.
I believe the Radius Attribute Framed-IPv6-Prefix is only for DHCPv6 scenarios and not all end-user Operating Systems take that into consideration by default, specially if there is no DHCPv6 Client at all. Still if the client received and configures the interface with the Framed-IPv6-Prefix it may not necessarily use it for browsing and may just use the Temporary IPv6 Addresses. The way to resolve that would be to use RA with Managed flag which, once again, would break Android usage.

Welcome more comments about these various scenarios and what you believe would be best approach to resolve these scenarios from a more conceptual point of view in order to have a fully functional IPv6 Hotspot system.

Fernando Frediani