[lacnog] IX LAN Prefixes - Should I Automate a Discard?

Job Snijders job en ntt.net
Lun Ene 13 18:22:02 GMT+3 2020

Hi Douglas,

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 10:16 PM Douglas Fischer
<fischerdouglas en gmail.com> wrote:
> I was delirious and a little extrapolating the idea on how to develop this automation, and I had a crazier idea yet...
>
> Someone who could be considered as representative of the IXPs (perhaps PeeringDB himself, or Euro-IX IXPDB ...) feeds some IRR with the IXP LAN prefixes with ASN 0, and an AS-SET for that.

I was looking into this before (route objects with AS0), but there are
some obstacles: the value "AS0" is not valid in that RPSL context, so
this feature can't be made to work without significant effort for
various IRR operators. Since many IRRs don't perform validation on the
creation of "route:" objects, significant effort would need to be
expended to design mechanisms to securely consume & parse such data.
Almost to the point where I'd suggest that deploying RPKI is simpler
and faster! :-)

However, back to your original requirement: one could construct a
"route-set:" object and fill that with the list of prefixes one wishes
to automate an operation around. bgpq4 accept's route-sets as argument

Kind regards,

Job