[lacnog] Big Tech's use of carrier-grade NAT is holding back internet innovation Re: 202201221137.AYC

Abraham Y. Chen aychen en avinta.com
Sab Ene 22 17:28:03 -03 2022

Hi, Henri:

1)    Re: Ur. Pt. 1): Thanks for your advice. It was not clear when I
signed up to the mailing list. I am sending this MSG directly to
lacnog en lacnic.net    as you stated, with Cc: back to us as check points.
What I am sharing is intended for the well being of the general public.
There is no privacy concerns. So, I am including the entire thread
below, starting from your initial post. Let's see what may happen.

2)    Re: Ur. Pt. 2): Thanks for the IPv4 auction market data. Now that
you have brought this topic up, do you see how any developing regions
can outbid big players such as Amazon, etc.? Then, what is the
consequence of this trend?

3)    Re: Ur. Pt. 3): Thanks for the interview of Vint Cerf. I am not at
a position to ask questions. I will continue my learning from whatever
becomes public.

4)    Re: Ur. Pt. 4) "... Rapid host identification in case of an audit
or police investigation. ...":    Actually, our proposal, EzIP may be
viewed as an address resource replacement for the CG-NAT while
maintaining its current position in the Internet architecture. So, there
is no hardware change for the IAP (Internet Access Provider --- as
opposed to ICP - Internet Content Provider. I have found using these as
subsets of the commonly known ISP can minimize the confusions.). Then,
the disciplined address administration proposed by EzIP will make the
host identification goal none-issue because it is inherent.

5)    Re: Ur. Pt. 5) " I am Brazilian and I speak little English and
Spanish.   ": So, your native tongue is Portuguese? Understood.

6)    Re: Ur. Pt. 5) " I didn't know about this draft. ... I will read
with great care and attention. ...  is it worth investing in any study
or change in IPv4, a protocol that is no longer standard?   ":     This
is a very intertwined situation. Allow me to be brief. Our EzIP work
started as a curiosity about IPv4 address pool exhaustion. By the time
we came to something chewable, the Internet community had decided to
phase out IPv4. We were not informed of the Working Group SunSet4,
except allowed to post semi-annual updates of our progress to IETF. So,
you would not have known the existence of such IETF drafts unless you
were specifically searching with relevant keywords. What is interesting
is that recently, I began to hear certain opinions such as "IPv6 is
still seen as an option, rather than an urgent necessity." Also, there
is a group of Internet veterans who have been working on the "IPv4
Unicast Extensions Project" that tries to extend the IPv4 in certain
areas. One of them overlaps with EzIP. You may want to have a look at it
(see URL below). The key questions at the moment would be; Is there
anything that only IPv6 can do? And, would it be worthwhile, if finite
effort in IPv4 is required to revamp the Internet?

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-schoen-intarea-unicast-240-01

I look forward to your thoughts,

Abe (2022-01-22 15:27 EST)