[lacnog] Big Tech's use of carrier-grade NAT is holding back internet innovation Re: 202201221137.AYC

Henri Alves de Godoy henri.godoy en fca.unicamp.br
Lun Ene 24 10:49:54 -03 2022

Hi, Abe

Follow the comments below .....

Em sáb., 22 de jan. de 2022 às 17:28, Abraham Y. Chen <aychen en avinta.com>
escreveu:

> Hi, Henri:
>
> 1)    Re: Ur. Pt. 1):    Thanks for your advice. It was not clear when I
> signed up to the mailing list. I am sending this MSG directly to
> lacnog en lacnic.net    as you stated, with Cc: back to us as check points.
> What I am sharing is intended for the well being of the general public.
> There is no privacy concerns. So, I am including the entire thread below,
> starting from your initial post. Let's see what may happen.
>
> 2)    Re: Ur. Pt. 2):    Thanks for the IPv4 auction market data. Now that
> you have brought this topic up, do you see how any developing regions can
> outbid big players such as Amazon, etc.? Then, what is the consequence of
> this trend?

I haven't noticed a fear or a drop in the purchase or transfer of IPv4 due
to the increase in cost. The movement was the opposite and many companies
are not worrying about cost, they are increasingly buying IPv4, because
that's what they know how to do, add more IPv4 blocks to their CGNAT. It's
easier for them than investing in IPv6. I would say a suicidal move.
Regarding Amazon's appropriation of large IPv4 blocks, I don't know what it
will do, it's a gold mine and maybe the right thing would be to return the
region. :-)) But I don't see any indication that it will do that.

> 3)    Re: Ur. Pt. 3):    Thanks for the interview of Vint Cerf. I am not
> at a position to ask questions. I will continue my learning from whatever
> becomes public.
>
> 4)    Re: Ur. Pt. 4)    "... Rapid host identification in case of an audit
> or police investigation. ...":    Actually, our proposal, EzIP may be
> viewed as an address resource replacement for the CG-NAT while maintaining
> its current position in the Internet architecture. So, there is no hardware
> change for the IAP (Internet Access Provider --- as opposed to ICP -
> Internet Content Provider. I have found using these as subsets of the
> commonly known ISP can minimize the confusions.). Then, the disciplined
> address administration proposed by EzIP will make the host identification
> goal none-issue because it is inherent.

Abe, I don't have information and I haven't read about the subject to give
an opinion on EzIP.

> 5)    Re: Ur. Pt. 5) " I am Brazilian and I speak little English and
> Spanish.   ":     So, your native tongue is Portuguese? Understood.
>
> 6)    Re: Ur. Pt. 5) " I didn't know about this draft. ... I will read
> with great care and attention. ...  is it worth investing in any study or
> change in IPv4, a protocol that is no longer standard?   ":     This is a
> very intertwined situation. Allow me to be brief. Our EzIP work started as
> a curiosity about IPv4 address pool exhaustion. By the time we came to
> something chewable, the Internet community had decided to phase out IPv4.
> We were not informed of the Working Group SunSet4, except allowed to post
> semi-annual updates of our progress to IETF. So, you would not have known
> the existence of such IETF drafts unless you were specifically searching
> with relevant keywords. What is interesting is that recently, I began to
> hear certain opinions such as "IPv6 is still seen as an option, rather
> than an urgent necessity." Also, there is a group of Internet veterans
> who have been working on the "IPv4 Unicast Extensions Project" that tries
> to extend the IPv4 in certain areas. One of them overlaps with EzIP. You
> may want to have a look at it (see URL below). The key questions at the
> moment would be; Is there anything that only IPv6 can do? And, would it
> be worthwhile, if finite effort in IPv4 is required to revamp the
> Internet?
>

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-schoen-intarea-unicast-240-01
>
> I look forward to your thoughts,

This draft of the block 240/4 release I will have to change all my class
slides and let all my students know that something historic has changed!
:-))

Leaving the jokes behind, I imagine that these millions of IPv4 addresses
that would be more available do not solve the problem of scarcity. Who
cares about this? Or would it just be to accomplish a historic feat or
correct a past mistake as well? I know that changes and mistakes happen.
Imagine the work of changing software, firmware, acls, firewalls. Is it
worth the effort ?

About your question "The key questions at the moment would be; Is there
anything that only IPv6 can do?"

The question is very good and makes our mind work and heat up.

I would start by answering as being the only protocol so far that can
achieve an assignment to a large amount of equipment (IoT, 5G). In addition
to the equipment and routers, they worked much better and faster in
delivering packages. I would say that we have the opportunity to return and
revive the concept of the early days of the Internet which is its
end-to-end connection.

Regards,