[LACNIC/Politicas] Interpretation Note on Policy Manual item 2.3.2.18 [ENGLISH]

Juan Alejo Peirano jpeirano at lacnic.net
Tue Nov 5 21:17:19 BRST 2013

Dear policy-list participants,

As discussed in the Public Policy Forum on the morning of Wednesday
30/10, LACNIC's Staff want to make a consensus call on how to interpret
the following note, described in Section 2.3.3.18, Transfer of IPv4
Blocks within the LACNIC Region.

"NOTE: This section will come into force when LACNIC or any of its NIRs
becomes unable,
for the first time, to cover an IPv4 block allocation or assignment
because of lack of resources."

As we understand, this note explains that transfers between LACNIC
associates take effect at the time that the LACNIC or one of LACNIC's
NIRs can not satisfy a request due to lack of resources of the regular
pool (IPv4 pool without considering reserves). This moment in time,
according to our interpretation , is when , probably
the last assignment can not be fully covered with the regular pool, so
the following request will be covered
with a block, maximum / 22, from the "Soft Landing" reserve ( item 11.2
Policy Manual) .

During the last Public Policy Forum in Curazao, some participants have
different interpretations about this.

It is our intention to reach consensus on this note, the time when the
transfer section effectively becomes active and define the procedures to
be followed by the Registration Services in LACNIC during this stage .

All comments and remarks are most welcome

Juan Alejo Peirano
Responsable de Políticas // Policy Officer
LACNIC -http://www.lacnic.net
Latin American and Caribbean Internet Addresses Registry