[Ietf-lac] [lacnog] Fwd: ietf meeting fees

Fernando Gont fgont at si6networks.com
Thu Jun 27 11:35:10 -03 2019

On 26/6/19 18:42, Lee Howard wrote:
> I have not been following this conversation, because it seems like one
> that is specifically about the Latin America region, and my Spanish is poor.
>
> I agree with you that it is difficult to have as strong a voice in IETF
> without physically attending meetings. Even though I had leadership
> positions,	 I had to stop attending because the travel was too expensive.

That's a point I had tried to make many times on this list and, and,
unfortunately, it has been debated against.

FWIW, for participants of this region, the situation is just exacerbated.

> What would you think if an organization hired a few people to
> participate, and summarized the important issues? Maybe a membership
> organization, where the members would decide which issues were most
> important, sponsors would prepare webinars to explain the technologies,
> and staff would summarize key issues to members, and describe key
> considerations to the IETF?

Certainly that would be great, particularly if that helped support
ongoing work  -- as opposed to just have these people be read-only.

> Staff could not represent members - that's not how the IETF works

Well,  this one is debatable: folks use their affiliations everywhere,
don't they?  ;-)

> With a little help from people within the region, like you and Carlos
> and maybe some of the local organizations, the effort could be
> maintained in several languages.
>
> Would this help, or would it dilute the contribution of people in the
> region?

Anything that can help some people engaged is of value.

As noted above, I think it is important that folks attending don't
simply attend, but actively contribute.

I don't want to populate the meetings with people from the region for
the sake of it, but rather make it possible for the region to contribute
work to the IETF.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Cheers,