[Ietf-lac] [lacnog] Fwd: ietf meeting fees

Fernando Gont fernando at gont.com.ar
Thu Jun 27 12:16:06 -03 2019

On 27/6/19 15:48, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via LACNOG wrote:

> El 27/6/19 16:35, "LACNOG en nombre de Fernando Gont" <lacnog-bounces at lacnic.net en nombre de fgont at si6networks.com> escribió:
>
>     On 26/6/19 18:42, Lee Howard wrote:
>     > I have not been following this conversation, because it seems like one
>     > that is specifically about the Latin America region, and my Spanish is poor.
>     >
>     > I agree with you that it is difficult to have as strong a voice in IETF
>     > without physically attending meetings. Even though I had leadership
>     > positions,	 I had to stop attending because the travel was too expensive.
>
>     That's a point I had tried to make many times on this list and, and,
>     unfortunately, it has been debated against.
>
>     FWIW, for participants of this region, the situation is just exacerbated.
>

>     > What would you think if an organization hired a few people to
>     > participate, and summarized the important issues? Maybe a membership
>     > organization, where the members would decide which issues were most
>     > important, sponsors would prepare webinars to explain the technologies,
>     > and staff would summarize key issues to members, and describe key
>     > considerations to the IETF?
>
>     Certainly that would be great, particularly if that helped support
>     ongoing work  -- as opposed to just have these people be read-only.
>
> The problem of this approach is that co-chairs (example v6ops), if you come back to the WG and say "I'm the organization x (let's suppose LACNOG for this example) we have exposed this ID to our community, 20 members said that they are supporting this document, 1 against", they will tell you: Ask the 21 people to say it in the v6ops list. And then you tell those 21 folks to do so, and they will *NOT*.

Please look at the discussion around draft-gont-6man-slaac-renum, for
example, where many folks noted that "the're no problem... ietf doesn't
support flash renumbering" (wtf?).

Or even my presentation about RFC7872 at the Hawaii v6ops meeting (at
which I just dodged bullets for presenting results of *measurements*),
with only Lee saying "hey! he's presenting measurements. He's just the
messenger!".

Then consider whether from the pov of an operator that's the best way to
invest your time....

As the Metallica song: "Sad but true"

--
Fernando Gont