[lacnog] Peering in Brazil

Rubens Kuhl rubensk en gmail.com
Jue Mayo 3 10:49:11 BRT 2012

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Tomas Lynch <tomas.lynch en gmail.com> wrote:
> How much traffic are we talking about? If you want to peer in Latam
> you need to colo a router there and there was an extensive explanation
> on fiber providers and their services. But that will depend on the
> traffic you want to exchange, if it's less than 100Mbps, I would
> suggest to connect to NOTA and peer there with several Latam ISPs.
> AFAIK peering in Brazil is not an easy stuff due to the requirements
> by ANATEL, I couldn't find those requirements in english, maybe
> somebody from ANATEL or cgi.br can share the link.

Unless you colo on a telco POP there are no ANATEL requirements, which
is the telecom regulator. Most of the datacenter facilities, including
the telco-owned ones, have only a few racks designated as telco POP
and the remaining floorspace can house anything the datacenter is
willing to accept.

The main gotcha is getting the router thru brazilian customs. It will
cost you all: money, time and effort, and you need to send new router
gear, not used equipment. You could consider buying from a brazilian
distributor with US offices, so you pay USD to an US company and they
deliver the equipment directly to the colo facilities of your choosing
paying all applicable (and high) taxes.

Also, when coming to Brazil to install the router, it's better to say
that you are here to visit... the word "work" won't sound good. No
need to hire local but it's an option you can consider. There are
plenty of certified, skilled (preferably both) professionals around,
but you should probably take the opportunity to know the country.

Rubens