[lacnog] Fwd: [v6ops] new draft: draft-servin-v6ops-monitor-ds-ipv6

Arturo Servin aservin en lacnic.net
Sab Jul 13 12:21:31 BRT 2013

Humberto,

On 7/13/13 12:11 PM, Humberto Galiza wrote:
> Hi Arturo,
>
> Reading your draft, and there are a two points that IMHO are a bit
> confused, but in a general manner itīs very good. Congrats.
>
> Sec 1:
> 1) "In the context of this memo it means
>    that we not only need to correctly monitor our services and networks
>    as we have done in the IPv4 world, but that we need it for IPv6 as
>    well." --> it seems a bit confused to me...I would suggest you: "In
> the context of this memo, it means that we should monitor our services
> and networks running IPv6 as we have/had done in the IPv4 world.".
    Good! Thanks, I liked a lot.

> Sec 2.1:
> "That is that protocols for monitor network
>    infrastructure such as SNMP or IPFIX can send IPv6 monitored data
>    (e.g. the count of forwarded packets of an interface) using either
>    IPv4 or IPv6 transport." it seems a bit confused to me...did you
> tried to say: "which protocols used to monitor network infrastructure,
> such as SNMP or IPFIX, can send IPv6 monitored data using either IPv4
> or IPv6 transport?"
    No, it is not a question. We are meaning that the data that the
agent collects (either snmp or ipfix) is orthogonal to the transport
(that could be ipv6 or ipv4). That is, if you monitor IPv6 MIB data you
can send it by IPv6. Perhaps changing to:

"It is important to understand the difference between IPv6 Transport
   vs. IPv6 data.  In other words, protocols for monitor network
   infrastructure such as SNMP or IPFIX can send IPv6 monitored data
   (e.g. the count of forwarded packets of an interface) using either
   IPv4 or IPv6 transport."

Is it better?

> Cheers,
>

> Humberto Galiza