[lacnog] Registro de puertos de origen en servidores web / Source Port Logging on Web Servers

Fernando Frediani fhfrediani en gmail.com
Sab Mar 23 20:28:36 -03 2019

Hi Fernando

Both of course.
This tutorial is intended only to web server (there are other
applications that apply as well as email servers for example).

For CGNAT in the Access Provider it depends very much the way it is
configured. It may be a deterministic CGNAT and by range of ports, Bulk
Port Allocation, 464XLAT, etc, and they all generate different kind of
logs formats that allow people to link information form both sides to
identify whoever necessary based on the source port.

That's actually something important to highlight: I have seen cases in
court that non-technical people had endless discussions about if both
sides must log source port or only one of them. It is of course easier
for us that are technical to know that without both sides logging it is
simply impossible to make this identification, so passing it trough is
indeed a good practice I believe.

Regards
Fernando