[lacnog] RPKI ROAs - Blackhole - Maximum prefix length

Job Snijders job en ntt.net
Vie Mayo 17 02:44:42 -03 2019

Dear Douglas,

You raise excellent questions - indeed there are some aspects related to
blackholing that we must reconsider in context of RPKI based Origin
Validation.

At the last IETF meeting I presented on a novel method to incorporate
the concept of blackholing in a world with stricter checks on whether to
accept a request for blackholing or not:

    http://iepg.org/2019-03-24-ietf104/blackholing_reconsidered_ietf104_snijders.pdf

My recommendations:

1) create your ROAs as 'strict' as possible, don't do 'upto /32' if you
can avoid it. You are rightly identified that setting the ROAs "too
loose" will open yourself up to certain attacks

2) If you are an IXP - stop offering blackholing via route servers.  The
"blackholing via route servers" was an idea that originated in the
marketing department of a European IXP and was never an effective
solution to begin with. Route servers must not redistribute blackhole
routes, there is no point.

3) If you are an IXP and want to offer blackhole related services,
implemented it like proposed here
https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2014-October/070310.html
United IX implemented a trick where the route server listens for
blackholing requests, but does not redistribute them to other route
server participants, instead the blackhole routes are converted into
ACLs and applied *inside* the layer-2 fabric. This way the blackholing
does not require coordination, cooperation, validation, and is always
100% effective
https://www.unitedix.net/tech/tech/#incoming-bgp-community-actions

4) If you are a transit provider, please wait a few weeks until the
mechanism I described in the IEPG presentation is finished. NTT is right
now working on an open source implementation of this idea with the
intent that anybody can copy the method.

Kind regards,

Job