[lacnog] RPKI ROAs - Blackhole - Maximum prefix length

Fernando Frediani fhfrediani en gmail.com
Vie Mayo 17 12:39:22 -03 2019

Hello Job

On 17/05/2019 02:44, Job Snijders wrote:

> 3) If you are an IXP and want to offer blackhole related services,
> implemented it like proposed here
> https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2014-October/070310.html
> United IX implemented a trick where the route server listens for
> blackholing requests, but does not redistribute them to other route
> server participants, instead the blackhole routes are converted into
> ACLs and applied *inside* the layer-2 fabric. This way the blackholing
> does not require coordination, cooperation, validation, and is always
> 100% effective
> https://www.unitedix.net/tech/tech/#incoming-bgp-community-actions
Well, that's a beautiful way of doing, actually pretty smart and
effective in my opinion, but I guess that may not always be available to
any IXP out-of-the-box. Specially for smaller ISPs that are still
sorting technology used and bringing up the bare minimal to operate or
that may not have all pieces necessary to automate and apply these
filters in Layer 2 fabric. For example there are switches that may have
limits on the Layer 2 ACL size or even doesn't have enough automation
available in order to integrate the route servers to do this layer-2
magic. That's where probably a router server doing a all-in-one job
would still be the point.

I am thinking here if a separate route server exclusively for this
propose with different filters would be a middle-term for those who
still cannot implement such filters in layer-2.