[lacnog] IPv6 in Wifi Hotspots

Fernando Frediani fhfrediani en gmail.com
Mie Oct 16 12:01:34 -03 2019

Hello there
I will put in English in order to facilitate for some in the list and
are english speakers which perhaps may also know about it.

A while ago I asked about IPv6 in Hotspot environments and some people
responded that had it working but the thread never came to a conclusion
of what exactly is the key point for IPv6 to work in Hotspot. I
understand that some people may have public Wifi with IPv6 enabled which
is not necessarily the same thing as a Hotspot system with IPv6 which I
am interested to know more about.

What comes to my mind and one of the key points is the web
authorization. In a IPv4 environment the client gets its IPv4 address
via traditional DHCP and after web authorization that address is
permitted to go out to the internet. In IPv6 we have RA where the client
assigns its own IPv6 Address in stateless autoconfiguration. The web
authorization system could in theory get the IPv6 address the client is
talking and authorize it but there is also the figure of multiple and
Temporary IPv6 Addresses which may break this.

If DHCPv6 only was enabled though Managed RA flag then some clients like
Android would not work.
For me the only thing that comes to mind is the Hotspot to work in Layer
2 authorizing the MAC Address and not the IP address however in that
case there may be a problem with access to the authorization website itself.

Given that does anyone see any proper way for Hotspot to work with IPv6
after a client is web authorized ?

Regards
Fernando Frediani