[lacnog] IPv6 in Wifi Hotspots

Uesley Correa uesleycorrea en gmail.com
Mie Oct 16 12:28:13 -03 2019

Hi Fernando.

The primary technique for authenticating a hotspot user is to intercept the
DNS query and redirect that query to a login page. And this in IPv4 is
easily solved with a simple NAT rule that when intercepting a query from an
unauthenticated one, makes this redirect and after authenticated throws the
client to a list of "authorized" addresses. But on IPv6 I have not yet
tried a way to do this on Linux or some solution of its kind. It may be a
try. Unfortunately for not having something ready, people stop using IPv6
because the DNS query in IPv6 would not be intercepted and soon the client
would start browsing without authentication. Another problem is: to
authenticate the client on just one stack and to bind by its MAC address
what are the other addresses / pools of the other IP stack and put both
stacks as released after authentication.

I keep following the ideas of the other friends.

Regards,

Uesley Corrêa - Analista de Telecomunicações
CEO Telecom Consultoria, Entrenamiento y Servicios
CEO Telecom Fiber Solutions