[lacnog]     Subasignación de prefijos a otro ASN y el tema con los RoA

Mike Burns mike en iptrading.com
Jue Feb 3 20:34:21 -03 2022

Hi Rubens,

Are we in agreement that leasing of both legacy and non-legacy space is legal and policy-compliant everywhere in the world?

But that you can't lease out addresses registered in LACNIC and AFRINIC without risk of revocation?

And that the original poster did not think that leasing with ROA was possible, but it is in fact possible?

Are you still of the belief that only legacy blocks can be leased?

You can be in Latin America or Africa and lease blocks from a lessor in ARIN, APNIC, or RIPE, receive an ROA, and break no laws or policies.

 I hope everybody understands this.

You can say hi to John Curran and give him my regards as he educates you.

Regards,
Mike

---- On Thu, 03 Feb 2022 18:08:00 -0500 Rubens Kuhl <rubensk en gmail.com> wrote ----

> I apologize for mixing LACNIC and LACNOG.
> You posted something from Brazil.
> As far as I know Brazil has had a law requiring addresses utilized in Brazil
> to be registered at NIC.br.
> This is fairly unique, possibly only China also has this requirement as far
> as I know.

There is no such law in Brazil. The only law about Internet here is
called "Marco Civil", and you can see that in English here:
https://www.cgi.br/pagina/marco-civil-law-of-the-internet-in-brazil/180

You can see at IX.br, the Internet Exchange matrix operated by NIC.br,
many ARIN, RIPE or other allocation sources, many route announcements
of IP blocks not allocated by NIC.br.

> Nonetheless this is not a policy requirement of LACNIC.

Not a policy requirement but an RSA requirement, as you mentioned below.

> LACNIC assignments will not reveal LACNIC lessees, whose assignments may be
> done at another RIR.

That's fine. If other RIRs allocated the blocks, their policies are
the one that matters. All RIRs are happy with that.

> I would wait a bit for the private messages, but I am sure you will learn
> that leased addresses do not have to be legacy and leasing addresses is not
> against policy in ARIN, RIPE, or APNIC.

Next time I bump into John Curran I am sure to ask him about ARIN,
because I read him stating otherwise in NANOG.

> LACNIC and AFRINIC alone among the RIRs have maintained in their RSAs the
> ability to revoke for utilization outside the original justification, or for
> lack of utilization.  Likely this is one of the causes of Latin America's
> very small transfer market. AFRINIC hasn't run out completely yet, so their
> market is non-existent. The other trading RIRs understood that maintaining
> this revocation ability runs counter to a functioning IPv4 market.

This ability is exactly what allows us to run an honest system where
people ask for what they need, not for what they will use to make
other people's lives costlier. If that doesn't work for brokers, they
can go elsewhere in the world.

Rubens