[LACNIC/Politicas] Pol í tica de publicaciones de bloques IPv6 (propuesta para modificacion de politica)

Roque Gagliano rgaglian at antel.net.uy
Mon Mar 19 12:31:17 BRT 2007

Jordi, I am attaching the description of the problem we are dealing with
that was published in NANOG's mailing list (Nicolas Antoniello's wrote
it back in Jan.) just in case you want to check with some folks at the
IETF meeting.

Roque

"-----------------------------------
Hi,

This question is about the IPv6 section of ARIN Number Resource Policy
Manual.

>From the manual (Section 6.5.1.1.c):

-----
6.5.1.1. Initial allocation criteria

c. Plan to provide IPv6 connectivity to organizations to which it will
assign IPv6 address space, by advertising that connectivity through its
single aggregated address allocation
-----

We have a problem with this policy and we would like to know if any
other
ISP experienced the same...

The problem raises when a RIR assign a /28 prefix (for example) to an
ISP
which has 3 internet links with 3 different carriers (tier 1 carriers,
for
example) using BGP publications.

Acording to ARIN (and most other RIRs) policy, the ISP must advertise
through all the 3 links the /28 without the possibility of
dissagregation.
The problem with this policy is that by doing this, the ISP loses
control
of the traffic, not being able to distribute the traffic over the 3
different links.

A /28 prefix may have a lot of incoming traffic associated to it, so I
believe the dissagregation (subnets) of the prefix should be allowed by
the policy.

What do you think? Do you have a similar problem?

Thanks,
Nicolas Antoniello."